MALEFICENT Costume ( Halloween 2014)
I decided to be Maleficent for Halloween this year. I work around children, so I'm limited as to how scary I can be. Although the story seriously undermined the integrity of the original Disney "Sleeping Beauty" narrative, it gave me a more approachable villain that I could actually wear to work without freaking out any little kids. I jumped at the chance!
The headdress was made to painstaking exacting specifications. I even used molded latex horns that are hollow, for ease of wearing for long periods of time. The entire thing weighs less than three pounds, but it looks spectacular. It will also not fit anyone else's head except my own, since it was made to my exact measurements. It's snug enough to hold the horns up on its own without needing a rigid, uncomfortable inner structure. I still have no idea how I managed to get around that, but I did!
The dress is made with a shorter train than the movie train, which runs an extra fifteen feet behind Angelina Jolie at all times. I can't have that kind of a train amongst the public with little kids running everywhere, so I opted for a three foot train, which was much more manageable. The rest of the costume is as close to movie specifications as I could manage. The bat sleeves are able to be lifted over my head without pulling up the skirt. The collar has two devil peaks on each side, open at the front and back. The back of the dress above the train has dragon-scale detailing along my spine, just like the movie version.
The staff unfortunately did not survive past the first round of picture-taking. It was made out of combination of air-drying clay, plaster of paris, and newspaper shreds. The wooden staff base itself obviously survived, but the jewel and the vines at the top began to fall apart after stepping outside for photos. Plaster of paris is not a water-safe material, and neither is air-drying clay. It was October, and it misted that day, and down the pieces fell. I have intentions of sculpting, molding and making copies of a latex version of the staff-topper. Those will be what I sell to clients going forward, to hot-glue to their own staffs permanently. If I had more time to work on my own version, that would've been my method of creation the first time around as well.
After putting everything all together and adding some cheekbone-highlighting glamour makeup, I became Maleficent for a day. So wickedly fun.